One of the top trainers in NYC

Monday, December 10, 2012

Kicking For Celiac


We live in a world where so many outside issues other than family, friends and happiness get in the way of living, laughing and loving.  More often than not we have to play the cards we've been dealt. Fortunately the hand may not be all that bad. There are countless diseases out there that are as mentally or physically debilitating. Celiac,according to those who suffer from it, is one of them.  Even though Celiac does not share the same mortality rate, its still a hardship that has to be monitored daily. The month of May may represents Celiac Awareness month but the individuals who suffer from it are aware of 24h hrs a day. There are a few well known Celebs and political figures who suffer from Celiac.  Bill Clinton, Chelsea Clinton, Keith Olberman, Zoey Deschanel and Elizabeth Hasselbeck. 

Craig Pinto has been suffering from Celiac disease for over 10 years. It was in February Of 2011 when he decided to start his own foundation to inspire others and to raise general awareness. Craig has also been fortunate enough to have his voice heard on the hit show NY INK. It is here where he was able to share his story with the masses. 
Q.What is Celiac disease?
A.Celiac Disease is an auto-immune disorder that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food, caused by a reaction to gluten.
Q.Who does it affect?
A.Currently, it affects approximately 1 in every 133 people, but about 1% of that population know they have it.
Q.How long have you had celiac?
A.I have had Celiac Disease now for over 12 years.
Q.How can one find out if they have it or not?
A.Celiac Disease can be diagnosed first through a blood screening, and then a follow up upper endoscopy for confirmation. As well, Celiac Disease is hereditary, so if you have a family member who is affected by this, it may be beneficial to get tested as well. Also, Celiac Disease can show up as Dermatitis Herpitaformis, which is a skin rash, but has no digestive symptoms of Celiac Disease. DH is diagnosed through blood tests and a skin biopsy.
Q.How can you relieve or elevate discomfort?
A.Currently, there is no medicinal treatment for Celiac Disease. The only treatment for relief of Celiac Disease is to strictly adhere to a gluten-free diet, to ensure feeling as healthy as possible. Discomfort can be elevated by veering from the diet and "cheating" with what you eat, as well as potential cross-contamination of your food with other foods that may contain gluten.
Q.Do you find it hard to to follow a gluten free diet?
A.Nowwadays I don't find it hard to follow a gluten free diet, besides if I am craving a quick snack food or late night snack, which are always tough for me to find. As far as eating meals goes, I eat a lot of home cooked meals, and restaurant options are becoming more readily available. When I was initially diagnosed, it was hard for me to adjust, due to the lack of products in traditional grocery stores as well as education in the restaurant industry.
Q.What was it like growing up?
A.I have had Crohn's Disease since I was a little kid, so I was always used to taking medication daily and used to having occasional stomach issues growing up. It wasn't until I was in college that I began dealing with Celiac Disease, which threw me for a bit of a loop, because I had to adjust, again, to living with another gastrointestinal issue. I was always an avid sports fan and always playing sports when I was younger, so I tried to not let that change much from when I was younger throughout going through these diagnoses.
Q.Does it effect physical activity?
A.My answer for this may be skewed, but I think if you LET it effect your physical activity, then the answer is yes. When I was initially diagnosed, I thought it was the end of the world because of everything I would be lacking in my life due to a diet, rather than really focusing on how to make the best of this situation. Personally, I think they biggest issue with diagnosis of Celiac Disease is initially psychological, and that can trickle down into your physical well being. If you are able to adjust your diet to feel well, you can definitely remain physically active. Some of the biggest things I have done, physically, in my life, came post-diagnosis.
Q.What inspired you to start a foundation?
A.I was really inspired by a lot of people around me, who reached out to me during our very first Guinness World Record fundraiser. The feedback I received during and after that event opened my eyes a bit to the lack of education and awareness, and more so to a lot of peoples desire to have an outreach or an outlet in the Celiac community. My goal after that was to really become a reachable part of the Celiac Disease community, and have really put together a Board of Directors that are able to relate and able to help most people that reach out to us.
Q.How did you get into Guinness?
A.I was actually really inspired to reach out to Guinness World Records after meeting Rob Dyrdek, who is a professional skateboarder, but also holds I think over 20 Guinness World Records on his own. The way he used his passion, combined with GWR and media really opened my mind to an idea that I could put my passions and ideas together, along with media to raise awareness and create a buzz for the Celiac Disease community. I set two different world records within a year, one for the Most Field Goals in 12 hours (717) and one for the Most Field Goals in 24 Hours (1,000), and the best part was doing both events to raise money and raise awareness for Celiac Disease.
Q.How does it feel?
A.It feels pretty great to have set world records, and still it's somewhat painful, physically, after the fact. I am really proud that I set these goals to hold world records for a reason and achieved them, and having a couple world records is a cool thing and something I can always look back at and hang my hat on. It's painful in the way that my legs and hips really haven't been the same since kicking 1,000 footballs one event then 1,500 the next event. There won't be any new kicking events in the near future, that is for sure.
Q.Do you think you've inspired others?
A. I like to hope that I have educated and inspired others to not give up on their goals, or at least opened some peoples eyes with this stuff that I did. It is nice to get letters or emails from people that can be helped just by being public with an event or being public and speaking about an issue I am passionate about, but I think if I was only able to get through to one person and they reached out to, and inspired others, I would consider it a success.
Q.Where can others find out about you're foundation?
A.You can find out about my foundation at www.kicking4celiac.org, which is our main website. We have links on all of the great programs we run, like our scholarship program and our Cleats 4 Kids program. We also have newsletters, as well as ways to donate and get involved on the website.
Q.What are some examples of food that contain gluten?
A.Some of the daily foods that contain gluten are bagels, sandwiches, pretzels, hamburger buns, pizza, pasta...really anything containing wheat flour, barley, semolina, rye, and a host of other ingredients.

Craig Is one of my closest friends, teammates and all around good guy. I hope his journey will inspire others to come forward with any aliment they might posses and try to inspire others. You never know who's life might be changed because of your story.keep living and keep fighting. Keep kicking ass,Craig.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts!

 
Pin It button on image hover